Pages

Wednesday 1 July 2020

Glastonbury at home


I spent a lot of the past weekend at Glastonbury Festival - not in an actual mud-filled Somerset field with my tent and wellies, but comfily curled up on my sofa watching TV.  There's a lot of musical choice at Glastonbury so I searched the special channel on i-player and chose my favourites. (sorry, folks, no Bowie or Beyonce here)


Festival vibes, though not Glastonbury


I started early on Friday evening and saw Foo Fighters and The Cure before nipping out to a totally different event The Blackheart Orchestra's The Big Armchair Concert 2 on Facebook, then returning to Glastonbury for  Elbow and The Killers (a set from 2004)



On Saturday my husband did some decorating while George Ezra sang in the background. And in the evening we left the festival site yet again and went to the Bridge Theatre in London for a glorious and funny performance of Midsummer's Night Dream starring Gwendoline Christie (from Game of Thrones). I'd need a helicopter to do that in real life :)

After a more relaxing night than I'd get in the tent, on Sunday I was back at Glastonbury. 

One thing that had been missing so far (crowds and mud I can live without) was festival food so to get really in the mood I tried to make my own - pittas toasted with chorizo, slices of red pepper, and cheddar, some cucumber and lettuce added, and served with green olives and mangetout. Not a bad try, I thought. Then I settled down to watch Florence and the Machine during lunch.  

The evening started quietly with Bon Iver, and acoustic sessions from a variety of artists including George Ezra again, with volume and energy increasingly with The Wombats (plus actual dancing wombats), and another set from The Killers (this time 2019).

It was great fun - there were no queues for toilets, the rain didn't matter, and my Fitbit clocked up lots of steps 'dancing' along. Sadly it's probably the nearest I'll ever get to Glastonbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment