Pages

Thursday 11 April 2019

Three Birthday Lunches

Birthdays have to be celebrated in style, don't they? Or, failing style, substance. I went for the 'substance' route, with three birthday lunches - not all on the same day though, that would be greedy!

On the actual date I didn't feel in the mood to celebrate. There's been so much grief these past few months that I couldn't work up enthusiasm for anything fun, so I just let the day drift past.



As weekend arrived though my family seemed determined to cheer me up - and I'm pleased, though surprised, that it worked.

My first lunch was a small affair, a mere 'warm-up' for the weekend, of sandwiches and cream scones from the local shop. I had presents to open though, including a bodacious Bill and Ted 'Wyld Stallyns' t-shirt, my grandson demonstrated his first few steps, and we went out to the garden centre in the afternoon. Yes, that does sound rather quiet for me, so that evening we went to a Skinny Lister gig (more about this here)










Lunch #2 on Saturday was an all-family jaunt to Annie's Burger Shack in Derby. It's a newish place, opened last year in a converted chapel, and serves huge burgers - all available as meaty, veggie or vegan. Mine was a chicken Caribbean, washed down with Fentiman's Rose Lemonade, and followed by apple pie and ice cream. The apple pie is SO good that I wonder if I just order that next time ...




















It was the sort of meal out that leaves me thinking I might not need to eat for days but lunch #3 was waiting ...





Despite no longer living here in Derby my younger daughter always seems to know far more interesting places to eat than I do, so I asked her to pick where to go for our mother/daughter lunch, and she introduced me to this rather fantastic place - Cosy Club, Derby.
With William Morris wallpaper, framed prints hung on every available space, deep sofas and comfy armchairs it feels like a 'gentleman's club'.







I could have just sat and soaked up the atmosphere but it was lunchtime and we HAD come out to eat. Sandwiches again, but a triple-decker of chicken and smoked bacon, served with fries.






No alcohol as I was driving, but with a drink as pretty as this pomegranate-lemonade mix, who needs alcohol?







It turned out to be a wonderful weekend.

Now, somewhat sadly, it's time to test another of my birthday presents - a book of diet recipes.


















No comments:

Post a Comment