Pages

Wednesday 31 January 2018

If the snowdrops are here Spring can't be far behind ...



Every year, as January drags on and on, I look forward to the arrival of snowdrops, the first sign that Spring is on the way.  




 We're lucky to have a country park nearby at Shipley with a stunning display in what were once the outer, wilder gardens to Shipley Hall (of which only footings remain) - and, unlike many more 'formal' gardens, we can take the dog along, and as entry is (almost) free with just a small car parking charge, I can visit again and again. 







It's always tricky timing the right week to catch such a short-lived flower in bloom, and once again I've been too enthusiastic and headed out snowdrop-hunting that little bit too early. In a week or so this section of ground by the old drive will be white with flowers, but for now it's necessary to let your imagination fill in the gaps.










I suspect that more than one variety was planted here, for some clumps were fully in flower, while others were still in tight bud. I'm not an expert on snowdrops though, so even having seen several varieties on display at Calke Abbey last year, I can't tell the differences with any certainty.





Even without the massed ranks of flowers, we had a pleasant walk in surprisingly warm sunshine, and I'm now convinced that Spring must be on the way!








4 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful. They came out this week in our garden too (although not as many as that!) Such lovely pictures and a certain sign that Winter is on the way out! Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by and commenting, Sharon. I think maybe snowdrops are a little early this year,but I'm counting down the days to spring and warm sunshine :)

      Delete
  2. So beautiful Mary and they very much remind me of the Bluebell carpets which shall hopefully be seeing soon too. I don't think we have ever had a snowdrop in our garden but shall be taking a litte look later. Thanks for sharing with #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Nicky. I have a small garden with a LOT of snowdrops - I love any flower that is so simple to grow, and something seems to encourage them to flourish and spread here - maybe if you spot one clump this year, by next there'll be more :)

      Delete