Pages

Sunday 10 September 2017

Ayres EP Launch


These days I'm out and about pretty frequently to see bands and solo artists performing in local pubs and music venues, but last week saw a very special occasion - my youngest daughter's EP launch!















But before you set your expectations too high, No, it wasn't the glamorous glitzy show biz event you might expect, but much like a normal DIY gig except with my daughter headlining.

Everything actually was a little D I Y - the 'studio' was a converted bedroom, my daughter burned the cds herself, and did all the artwork for the inserts, which we then printed on our dodgy home printer. It doesn't take away any of the thrill of it all though.







She's been playing for a while now as Ayres (it's a reference to the Alice Ayres character in Closer), and obviously I've heard these songs as they've developed and been performed but there's something really special about hearing them on an actual cd. I wasn't allowed to listen to any of the work in progress as vocals and backing tracks were laid down, so hearing the finished product was amazing. I think it's wonderful that with the tech available today and a little help from friends in the DIY music scene, she can put together a professional-sounding ep, share it online through sites like Bandcamp and Spotify, and follow her dreams without having to wait to be 'discovered'. Who knows where it may lead ...
Ayres describes herself as a mix between Frank Turner and Conor Oberst; me, I'd say Sandi Thom. You can hear it and make your own mind up though - it's called Put Me Back, has four tracks, and any or all can be downloaded for free from Bandcamp, or bought on cd, in which case you get one of three 'thank you' stories to the people who helped, encouraged, and supported her on the way.
Edited; now available to stream for free on Spotify here









8 comments:

  1. Oh Mary what a proud mum moment. Your daughter clearly has your love for all things musical. #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've probably caught the music bug off her, rather than the other way round, but whichever it's so exciting! Thanks for commenting, Jo :)

      Delete
  2. Oh this is just so exciting and pleasing to hear. How cool is your daughter and I'm sure you have influenced each other with your tastes in and love of music. You must feel incredibly proud. I've has a listen and I shall look forward to hearing how she is getting on. Thanks for sharing something so special with us at #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? So strange and wonderful to hear her voice on cd or my phone. Thanks for listening Nicky :)

      Delete
  3. this is fantastic, how awesome for her. I just listened to the songs and she's great. Pinning to come back and download. congrats! #TTB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird and wonderful at the same time! and everyone has been so positive about her music (I know I liked it but that doesn't guarantee what the wider world might say) Thanks for commenting and extra thanks for downloading :)

      Delete
  4. Wow I loved it! I've just sent the link to my daughter who is also a musician. Your daughter has a wonderful voice and this sounds like a polished performance. I thinks it's wonderful that quality productions like this are now possible with relatively simple equipment. It opens up the field and means that the big record companies no longer hold all the power. Fantastic, you must be so proud. Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. I (obviously) love it, but it's amazing to hear people saying so too. Thanks for listening and commenting :)

      Delete