Pages

Friday 5 May 2017

Busy, busy week

Ok, busy, busy week might be over-exaggerating just a little but two nights out together is quite excitement enough for me!
First on Tuesday I headed off to the Nottingham Waterstones store to see fantasy author Robin Hobb at a packed event to publicise the launch of the latest, and last, book in her long-running Fitz and the Fool series - for something that started as a scribbled note while she was in the middle of writing another book, it's come a long way.


Ayres at The Hop Merchant
Then on Wednesday there was even more excitement...
Not long after I saw Skinny Lister last autumn, my teen bought me an early birthday present of a ticket to their next gig back in Nottingham  - well, actually two tickets and she was going too.  As the date grew closer my excitement was mounting. Then last week she realised she'd booked herself a (much smaller) gig at the Hop Merchant pub in Nottingham for the same night. Fortunately, the times didn't clash. She'd have to dash straight off after her set, and we'd miss the supporting act at Rescue Rooms, neither of which are best etiquette, but it was do-able.
So, an early, hurried dinner, a traffic-problem free trip to Nottingham, and on to my teen's half-hour slot.



Then a quick dash across town for her to take her guitar back to the car, while I strolled the short distance to the Rescue Rooms - and on to the main act of the evening, Skinny Lister and their hand-clapping, toe-tapping sea-shanty style rock.








Unbelievably, it's the third time I've seen Skinny Lister play in ten months. Six months ago I hadn't been to a gig larger than anything held in the back or upper room of a pub - and I can't quite believe how my 'habits' have changed.

A hectic evening, but a great one, and this is definitely now the 'new me'. Overnight my legs cramped up from so much jigging about, the next day I had aches everywhere, but I'm already looking for the next date Skinny Lister will be back in town!


8 comments:

  1. glad you enjoyed your week and nights out, it's often all or nothing with me, staying at home for weeks on end, then out several nights in a row
    #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for dropping by. It's weird isn't it how things work out that way? this last week has been quiet - next I expect to be out more than once! #tweensteensbeyond

      Delete
  2. Hey girl, you are just rocking it aren't you! I love to see people getting on out, especially during the week. You do some really different gigs. Thanks for sharing with #tweensteensbeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety is the spice of life, don't they say? Oddly I find I'm more likely to be out in the week (on a school-night as a friend puts it) than weekend - they seem saved for daytime countryside rambles so by evening I'm exhausted! Thanks for dropping by #Tweenteensbeyond

      Delete
  3. Wow there is no stopping you is there?! Good for you I think we could all take a leaf out of your book. I struggle with two nights in the same week but actually it is doable and so worth it! Thanks for linking. #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, fortunately a book event is a fairly quiet thing. I'm not sure I'd be up for two 'gig' nights together,despite my plan of growing old disgracefully :) Thanks for visiting the blog #tweenteensbeyond

      Delete
  4. Yay good for you! I managed to survive my recent Saw Doctors gig and I'm busting to see them again. Two nights out in a row may be more that I can cope with, well done you! Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed your Saw Doctors gig. Yes, go see them again! Don't let the youngsters have all the fun :) Thanks for dropping by #Tweenteensbeyond

      Delete